Butler plots a spectrum of Business Analytics deployed models from:
- Data discovery & exploration to
- Federated decisioning models
Another way of viewing this spectrum is to consider the embedded analytics maturity model from
- Simple visualisations and dashboards to
- Deeply embedded analytics within enterprise applications & workflows
Butler emphasises that unless analytics are embedded in enterprise applications and workflows you can say goodbye to any significant productivity improvements.
Two excellent examples of analytics vendors that enable enterprises and ISVs to embed analytics are:-
1) Logi Analytics- referred to by Butler as " mature, well respected embedded analytics platform".
2) Carto- creating real value from location-based data integrated with enterprise data and providing embedded and complete spatial data solutions.
It is well known that context switching destroys productivity. If employees need to switch between the applications they use day after day, and some type of analytics environment, then we can wave goodbye to any notion of productivity.For this reason it is essential that analysis is embedded into production applications. So call center operatives might have a graphic showing the behavior of customers with a profile similar to the ones currently being dealt with. The opportunities are endless. Obviously we only want to embed analytics that have proven to have value in a high transaction environment – otherwise its ad-hoc self service analytics. Over the next few years we will see businesses moving from the flawed notion of widespread self-service analytics to embedded production analytics